Sunday, March 6, 2011

Detroit 200

Are there any true similarities between Detroit and Chrysler? One of Chrysler’s newest commercial shows the power of the Chrysler 200 by simply comparing it to the motor city – Detroit. Each and every word uttered by the narrator speaks about the city of Detroit; yet, it refers to the car as well.

It shows that the city know about luxury and the finer things in life, because “the hottest fires make the hardest steel.” This statement shows that though the city has its problems, overcoming them is much more powerful which gives them the opportunity to create something powerful like the Chrysler 200.

The commercial is showing that a car is not only about whom it is for, but where it is from.  The commercial shows the true story of Detroit and Chrysler. It emphasizes that it is an American made car, and that Detroit is the motor city and cars are “what they do.”


Commercials with dual meanings are my favorite. I love that Chrysler not only markets its product, but the city as well. It also markets the American brand. Many things in the United States are made in China, Japan, and sometimes India. Rarely do we see a sticker that says “made in America.” 

Something that caught my attention was that they showed the full car only a few times. The commercial tells little about the car, except the fact that it is a luxury car. We assume that the car has everything we need and want because it says that it is luxury. It does not give us information about speed, gas mileage, safety, and other things that one should know when they buy a car.

In a way, If feel that that the purpose of the commercial is to connect with people who are not from the big cities. It emphasizes that the car is NOT from New York, Chicago, and other big cities, which I am assuming is a plus for the car. 

I am in the process of looking for a car for my graduation present (don’t tell my mom =D…) and given that no information was given about the car, I would not buy it. Whether or not the car is like Detroit, I do not know because I have never been. The commercial makes me want to visit Detroit over buying the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment